Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Beware the Isle of the Minator!

It is an incontrovertible fact that tasting the flavours of any culture can be one of the most rewarding experiences in travel.

There is however, an exception to every incontrovertible fact I have ever uttered. Allow me to ‘controvert’.

I must start by noting that the Greeks make wonderful wine. The reds deserve attention. Xynomavro is a black grape of northern Greece that can yield serious wines, worthy of ageing. Agiorgitiko is a widely planted black Peloponnesian grape with considerable power.

In fact, the Greeks are credited with the invention of fermented grape juice.

There is also a white of the refreshing, vibrant and citrus flavoured Assyrtiko that comes from the island of Santorini. I love it.

Armed with all this information you would think that a man of my peculiar interests would be able to secure a decent glass of oenos (wine) anywhere in Greece. Think again.

Let the traveller beware! Any country that makes wine makes bad wine.

They have been making wine in Crete for about 4000 years. I can only guess that not much of it was white. I certainly hope not, for their sake.

There I was in Heraklion, Crete on a day that must have hit 35 degrees judging by the melting street signs. I looked like a man who has been caught in a downpour without an umbrella, only it hadn’t been raining. Suffice it say, it was hot and I wanted a glass of white.

The bottle would not disclose the grape variety but I forgave that because it is a peculiar trait of most European wines. Besides, I was too busy worrying about the taste. Not having consumed ear-wax, I can’t be entirely sure of my tasting note. It seems the minatory is not the only scary thing about Crete.

So here is my tip, and one I think we might focus on next time. Learn to like the taste of beer. It refreshes the palate and cools the head when these inevitable little pitfalls of travel conspire against the senses.

Yiamas! (Cheers!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails