Friday, July 24, 2009

California Dreamin'

It's been a little quiet here on the Bon Vivant Travel blog, and with good reason - I was away in sunny California since Monday. I know - it's a tough life, but sometimes, you've just got to take one for the team. Now that planes, airline food and jet lag are (almost) behind me, I'm back at my post - skin a smidgen more tanned, smile a lot wider.


Those few days away were quite a whirlwind, and luckily, great food made it on the agenda. On my first night, I had the pleasure of dining at the Second City Bistro in El Segundo. I often have diner's envy when I'm eating out with others - you know, you order something, thinking it will good, and it is, but you can't help but wonder if your dining companion's meal might just be a bit tastier than yours. That wasn't a problem that night. I started with the tomato, basil and gorgonzola bisque, and that would have been worth the trip for me. It was fantastic, so much so that I ate it quickly and quietly so that the others wouldn't catch on to the tastiness of it all and ask me to, gulp, share. The rest of the meal was great too - a nicoise salad with seared rare ahi, and for dessert - sorbet! I know I've professed my love for lemon gelato, but coconut sorbet is closing in fast and might find its way to top position on the frozen treats podium.

One aspect of California's culinary scene that I wish I would have had more time for is the wine. There is a lot to explore in California's wine region, and I'm itching for a chance to explore it the next time I'm out there. But until then, I have my trusty mouse to help me soak it all in virtually. If you care to join me, grab a glass of vino and check out this link - all about the best the region has to offer. If you're already set to go, Globus might just already have the perfect itinerary for you. Their California Wine Country tour takes you to all the key spots and then some. Wine tasting and olive oil tasting? Yup - I'm there. Well, in my dreams anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails