Friday, October 16, 2009

The pilgrimage

Today we tend to think of the pilgrimage in an Islamic context and Mecca has become a synonym for any destination of abounding interest. However, there have been pilgrims as long as there have been gods and Delphi, Lumbini and Jerusalem have all seen there fair share of foreign worshippers.

There are also secular pilgrims. Some people have a passion and my particular obsession is Burgundy. The hills of the Cote d’Or shelter some of the finest Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs on earth. They also have a disproportionate number of good restaurants.





Burgundy is one of those places you have to see for yourself. It doesn’t make sense that two wines that come from the same grape variety planted twenty yards apart could taste very different. You understand when you are there. Different soils (it looks like a patchwork quilt), different aspects (some get more sun than others) and different techniques are just some of the reasons.

A little while ago, my wife, my dog (Cedar) and I took the pilgrimage. We rented a car and drove down to the little town of Beaune via Champagne. What? Took my dog? Yes. I was living in the UK at the time, so we all took a road trip. Europe is very dog friendly and she came everywhere with us. In fact, she sat at my feet at the Hostellerie La Briqueterie, although I now see their website say no pets allowed. This might not be a coincidence.

Back to wine. We rented a gite inside the city walls and used it as a base. By day we focused on producers, vineyards and lunch. Night was entirely devoted to finding the perfect dinner.


Domaine de la Romanée-Conti creates some of the greatest burgundies and greatest prices. The photo is evidence that we were there. This is one of my greatest holidays and now I sell Louis Jadot burgundies for a living. So find your passion and follow it…and take the dog if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails