Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Galilee Food Experience

I had such a spectacular time in the Galilee – but I’ve left a little overwhelmed! Somehow I have to decide what, of all the incredible food experiences I’ve had, I’ll put into a 4 day tour that I'm putting together for my clients. (to be combined with 4 days in Jerusalem).

Thankfully I have help from Abbie Rosner of Culinary Tours of the Galilee, a writer who’s researching the foods of the Galilee and knows the most incredible food producers and cooking teachers that I’d undoubtedly never find on my own. And, the great thing is that they include all of the foods and cultures of the Galilee – Jews (including all of the immigrant populations) Arabs, Druze, and Christians)

Lindan (far right) and Abbie Rosner (far left) of Galilee Cuisine

We started our trek near her home in a moshav near Beit Lehem Hagalil (Bethlehem of the Galilee) and ended in Rosh Pina visiting just a few of the many food producers and cooking teachers along the way.

The highlight for me was lunch at cheese producer Halavi eem Haruch. We enter the farm and drive about a half a kilometer along a serious country road (maybe more accurately described as a wide path) and through a herd of about 200 goats to the farm where we enjoy a multi course cheese. We started with labneh with olive oil and herbs, followed by a goat cheese ricotta. The next course - warm rounds of aged Isabella cheese (similar to Parmesan) with roasted tomatoes, eggplant sauteed with mint and a cabbage salad with a mild sesame oil flavour. A cheese plate for dessert included 7 distinctly different cheeses – each better than the other! I don’t think I’d ever find this place on my own and I’m glad that Abbie will be accompanying my groups.

A cheese plate - last course of a fabulous cheese lunch

A couple of other highlights were a visit to olive oil producer Rish laKish in Zippori for a tour and tasting and then to Rosh Pina where we visited another cheese producer (the wife is a baker).

Storage boutique cheeses in Rosh Pina

Abbie took me to many other places – to an herb and spice farm and to cooking teachers and, although I’d hoped to have an itinerary at the end of the trip, I’ll have to come back in November to finish the task. (oh the hardship of it all)
Zatar Blends from the Herb and Spice farm

Much of the food eaten throughout Israel is grown and produced in the Galilee and the Golan Heights – foods and vegetables, great wineries, cheese makers and olive oil producers – as well a fish farms that supply fresh water fish.
The Golan Heights Winery
And although it’s a small area in a small country – the distances between Akko to Safed and Rosh Pina, to the Sea of Galilee and to the Golan Heights are so packed with great foods and great food experiences that the task packing the best into 4 days has me overwhelmed.

But, never daunted I’ll just carry on. Perhaps a glass of Syrah with help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails