Monday, August 31, 2009

Nick Keukenmeester: Reporting From the Observation Deck

Through no fault of my own I find myself on a cruise ship floating in the Mediterranean. This may not seem too bad, but I have a phobia of big ships and am spending my days in denial, pretending I'm not here. Still, every cloud has a silver lining. Cruise ships are like All-Inclusives and the wine is poured in complimentary quantities and often has that 'complimentary' quality too.

However, nowadays most of them have a 'reserve list'. This is a list of wines that you pay extra to try. Most people would rather eat their own foot than pay extra when you can have something for free, but this is just what I'm doing. These floating cities spend their time in international waters and as such do not pay tax! I have found wines on the list here for almost half the price they are on the shelves at home. Last night I had a Louis Jadot Puligny Montrachet 2007 for US$70. The intense minerality and elegance of this wine always puts a smile on my face. Paying less than I've ever paid in Canada is even better. The night before was the Benziger Tribute 2005 for the same price. This entirely biodynamic gem from Sonoma is a wonderful wine, but the ones in my cellar cost $120 each. Now granted that is 120 Canadian dollars, but you see my point.

Of course, I am based in Ontario and we don't all pay them same amount of tax, but even folks I've met from Alberta have found some gems on this list. So if the one you love needs you to take to the seven seas, remember to bring a vintage chart to set your course and a tall glass to sail her by.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails